Followers

Viruses and Hackers: What's next?

>> Friday, January 8, 2010

We are in the second week of 2010, and I am wondering how things will turn out. It has not been a great one so far. On New Year's Day, we ended up with a computer virus, and that took all day to get rid of. Just days later, my email was hacked and emails were sent out to people I had in my contacts. I am not sure how many people got the message, so I am letting you all know now that I am at home safe and sound and not out of the country. I wish that I could be, but that will not happen.

The email that was sent had a title of EMERGENCY. The email said the following:

Hope you get this on time ? Sorry I didn't inform you about my trip UK for a program and am having some difficulties here because i misplaced my wallet on my way to the hotel where my money and other valuable things were. presently my passport and my things are been held down by the hotel management pending when i make payment.
I will like you to assist me with a loan of $2,000 Dollars to sort-out my hotel bills and to get myself back home. I will appreciate whatever you can afford to assist me with, I'll Refund the money back to you as soon as i return, let me know if you can be of any help? ASAP.

I don't have a phone where i can be reached.
please let me know immediately
Amanda

My cousin had responded by saying," I got this today,do you know who could of sent it?"

They had responded to her again saying the following:

I am much more confused than you are,I would have called you on the phone ....i don't even have any money to pay for a PAYPHONE to call. I don't have access to the hotel phone because am in debt with the hotel. I will really appreciate if you can help me send the money before everything get bad. You need to come to my aid at this time. I promise to pay back as soon as i get back home all that matter now is my well being.

I have recently changed my email, and everyone in my contact list should have gotten the new email address. If you did not, then please let me know by leaving a comment, and I will email it to you.

This is what we get in the world if we are not careful or just doing day to day business. I had family members worried over the fact that my email was hacked. It has created some problems with me, and I still have not gotten everything straightened out. If you have received one of these emails from me, then I am sorry that you had gotten the email. I do have access to my old account, but that will be deleted once I believe I have everything that I need out of it. I believe that Twitter and other accounts will be ok for now. I will change them later if needed. Hopefully I will not have to do that one. I am hoping that this is a one time thing and will not happen again. Thank you all for understanding and I will see you all soon.

0 special comments: