Followers

Food Additives and Your Child's Behavior

>> Tuesday, December 2, 2008

I was searching something to write about today and I found something on the food additives that so many companies put into food. So how bad it is...I'd say very. I came across the Feingold Diet .
I've never heard of this diet, but it makes such obvious sense. Part of the overview is this, and I quote,"
Numerous studies show that certain synthetic food additives can have serious learning, behavior, and/or health effects for sensitive people. The Feingold Program (also known as the Feingold Diet) is a test to determine if certain foods or food additives are triggering particular symptoms. It is basically the way people used to eat before "hyperactivity" and "ADHD" became household words, and before asthma and chronic ear infections became so very common.
The Feingold Association believes that patients have a right to be given complete, accurate information on all of the options available in the treatment of ADHD as well as other conditions. Sometimes, the best results come from a combination of treatments. This might include using the Feingold Diet plus allergy treatments, or plus nutritional supplements, or plus a gluten-free/casein-free diet, or even Feingold + ADHD medicine. We believe that it's useful to start with the Feingold Diet since it is fairly easy to use, not expensive, and because removing certain synthetic additives is a good idea for anyone."
As I have addressed in previous posts that my children's therapist has always suggested removing the colors from their food and drinks. I suggest as well removing colors from other products as well. From medicines to play-doh. These colors really affect my kids in my own opinion. They usually get even more hyper when they eat or drink something with any colors in it. Talk to your doctor about removing colors from your/their diet. Explore all the possibilities of allergies and their source if possible. Every child is different so getting them tested will help you know what types of allergies they may have. Explore the Feingold Diet and see if you think it is right for your loved ones.

3 special comments:

Jane December 2, 2008 at 10:16 PM  

Hi Amanda,
Thank you so much for telling your readers about the Feingold diet. Our non-profit organization has been helping people find the food they enjoy, but in healthier versions, for more than 30 years. Please let me know if you would like me to send you a sample of some of our literature, including articles about diet and autism.
Best wishes,
Jane Hersey
National Director
Feingold Assoc of the US

amandaautismx2 December 3, 2008 at 7:59 AM  

Jane,
Wow, never thought this would happen. If you wish to contact me for any reason, you may email me. amandaautismx2@yahoo.com It's something that I do believe in. It is also very difficult to find the right foods for a child with ADHD and Autism.To bad everything we eat and drink seems to have these additives.
Thanks again,
Amanda

Mandi December 4, 2008 at 7:57 PM  

Hey Amanda - I am so glad you found me on here and we can catch up on stuff. I will write more later (I haven't mastered the typing with one hand, holding a baby w/the other quite yet!), but I just wanted to say hi and good to hear from you.

Mandi