Followers

How We've Been...

>> Friday, December 19, 2008

This week has been a busy one for us. Christmas is coming and the boys can't wait to see what they have gotten for Christmas this year. We did have a mishap with "Ed" at school one day this week. We had forgotten to give him his ADHD medicine that morning, and by the time he was a school for no more than two hours. His sensitive to sound struck him awful that day. He was having problems with the noise in the classroom during spelling as he sat at his desk with his head down and his ears covered. The intercom had interrupted his sensitivity as well. The teacher had to call in his therapist to the school to remove him from class. She immediately called me once she had talked with him for a few, hoping to relax him to where he was able to function again in the classroom. She asked me if anything was wrong at home. I said "no" as she explained to me what he was having difficulty with. I immediately went to the school with his medication, to meet with her about the situation. I instantly saw the difficulties he was having that day. He was twisting his hands together in his lap and moving his legs back and forth. As he was asked to talk about thinking about going back to class, he replied, "I don't want to be here." I explained to him how important school was and that he needed to try again once he felt calm enough to return." He didn't really have a reply to speak of. After we had sat talking for a while, it was time to go. She took "Ed" back to her room to finish playing hangman, and then allow time for his medicine to take effect. She had told me that she wasn't sure if she'd be calling me back. I went home in the rain and braced myself for another call that never came. I was happy to feel that somehow he was able to relax himself from all the noise for just a moment. "Ed" has always been the touchy type. Sensory issues that I felt were there from the time he was born or at least six months of age. Laying him down when he was asleep only left him to awaken as soon as I even tried to remove my hands from his body. His difficulty in sleeping took a toll on us all. Back then, we had no idea what he was really going through, and that made it hard for anyone to understand what was really going on. He still has problems relaxing to go to bed. Like now.... it's 10:40 p.m. and he will not accept the idea that it is way past his bedtime and all he can think about is the candy he couldn't find. How long have I been doing this...every night seems like. He has become an excessive talker even more so now than when he was younger. He will repeat what he says now stumbling somewhat over words until you answer him or pay attention to exactly what he is wanting you to know, hear, or see. I'm not sure if his stumbling ex. I...I..have....and so on is much of a concern, because most of the time he can speak normally. "His ADHD medication is helping with the ADHD, but it could be aggravating his autism symptoms." Lately, he's been very annoyed at the presence of loud noise, that interferes with what he is doing. Lot's of agitation and bickering. The boys are in desperate need to visit the DAN doctor and for me to come to terms on how I am supposed to transform their diets hoping that some of this would be put to rest. I'm trying to come up with a mental plan of my own, but it falls apart as my mind goes blank due to my own unique differences from the world around me. I feel like my mind is struggling in a way similar to the boys, but I'm not as broken as they are. I'm an overly emotional person, who finds it hard to comprehend text without reading the same sentence over and over again to try and understand it's meaning. I never learned how to multiply like most kids. My brain just couldn't absorb the memory necessary to complete it. It's the little things that I find in myself that allows me to put myself in their shoes with an understanding of how hard it is for them to deal with life and all it's fragile moments. I'd have to say they are doing well, if ADHD/autism could somehow be controlled to the point where they can deal with the difficult times. Hyperactivity is a major challenge for them, and they have a long way to go before they could even stay in a calm mood without being agitated with themselves to the point that they break down into a depressed state of mind. Their emotions still run high, and controlling those emotions will take time.
"Dev" has a new challenge now with a tooth. The poor dear. His bottom teeth (the first ones to come out) is just beginning to get loose; however, his permanent tooth is making it's way through the skin right behind his baby tooth. I can just imagine the pain he is in, but he doesn't seem to react to it much. I've been using orajel to help, so maybe it is more easy for him to deal with it. He's only requested it once since the first time I gave it to him, and I plan to have been handed the tube to help ease the pain. I haven't gotten a hold of the dentist yet, and hoping that he doesn't have to have it pulled out. Maybe it will continue to get looser and falling out on it's own. Only timing will tell, and I hope that it is on his side. Not having to go through that trauma would be a blessing.
Well, I guess I'll be signing off to regain my ground to fall asleep, and say good bye to this long day.

6 special comments:

Betsy Brock December 21, 2008 at 9:51 PM  

Have you tried melatonin? Our boys go to sleep sooo much better with it. They are asleep by 9pm and sleep through the night.

We have sound sensitivities, too!

amandaautismx2 December 21, 2008 at 10:55 PM  

Thanks Betsy... there is still so much for me to learn, and I feel I've learned nothing. Not exactly sure what all they need. But to the DAN doctor we go hopefully soon to try and figure out all of this.

Casdok December 23, 2008 at 4:02 AM  

C is 20 and i am still learning!

Hope you all have a wonderful christmas!

Melissa December 23, 2008 at 7:26 PM  

Hope your visit with the DAN doc goes well. I am excited to know what you find out. I too find that mine react to food and have wondered about the additives. I try to limit them and buy mostly organic for the foods they consume the most of, but the organic foods are too expensive. I understand the sound sensitive child, I have one myself. Our trip was great, we have been all sick in the last week so i have not had time to update my blog. I will post on Christmas EvE and get all the pics in from the trip and after the holiday I will let everyone know about the awesome things Disney does for kids with disabilities. I hope you all have a merry Christmas and enjoy your big tree. Looks like fun!

amandaautismx2 December 24, 2008 at 7:55 PM  

Melissa, What kind of additives are you concerned about? I do have a list here at home that you may be interested in. Let me know....Feingold Diet

Chubskulit Rose December 25, 2008 at 5:07 AM  

hello, im following your blog now...