Followers

Infants, Playtime, and Autism

>> Thursday, November 6, 2008

U.S. researchers have discovered that strange play in infants such as spinning objects and looking from the corner of their eyes at certain objects. So now the American Academy of Pediatrics have recommended that all infants be screened for autism before the age of 2. I noticed a change in "Ed",my oldest, after the first week of birth with not being able to sleep without being held. He began to look at things from the corner of his eyes by the time he was probably one, and did for many years after. Don't remember him spinning things though. "Dev" was doing this when he was six months old. I have seen the changes in play in the way this article
does with my own children well before they were two. Maybe we need to educate to be parents on the signs of autism. I knew they had autism once I learned how to see the differences in their behavior and their view of life, and what autism was in the first place. Once "Dev" started spinning puzzle pieces with the wooden peg on top on the floor, I immediately knew. I was telling my family that he had autism as well for several months to a few years (maybe 2), and all I was told was that he was fine. I knew better. It's a mother's instinct to see something different about their child. He was diagnosed about 2 years ago. My heart pours out for my boys, and I wish that they didn't have to have autism, but they do. They are my pride and joy, so I am being strong for them and hope that I can provide them with everything they need. Thanks again and have a nice night. Amanda

0 special comments: