Followers

11y/o high functioning autistic from Oregon...gone MISSING!!

>> Friday, November 7, 2008

As I was checking my emails, I had one from Google Alerts on high functioning autism. When I clicked on the message the first entry was on an 11 year old HFA (high functioning autism). My heart sank....Jonathan Rios was having an argument with his foster dad about a broken video game and when he left his 11 year old in the car to pick up another child from school, he was gone when they returned to the car. It is said that he does have a history of running away. This is from Oregon Live News.

My heart goes out to the family of this child and I hope that he returns to you safely.

Trouble with getting "lost" in public or running away is quite common among people with autism...especially children. When "Ed" was 4, he would unlock the front door and run out circling two or three blocks, and returning straight home after I chased him telling him to stop. I was terrified that he was doing this, and there was never a time when I actually caught him. He was too fast. I then had chains put on the front and back doors to prevent him from doing this. Just after that he didn't do it anymore. This is called "Environment and Surroundings: making them autistic friendly" from The National Autistic Society website....it is well worth taking the time to read it. Here is another one from the Autism Society of Canada. Safety is a major priority when it comes to autism. Different environments affect them in certain ways that they just want to be away from it or to be drawn to something that interested in. I have never left either one of my boys out of my sight...because they were so prone to "run off". Well, take care guys and I'll get going. Amanda

2 special comments:

Azlina Abu Bakar November 11, 2008 at 8:52 AM  

Hi! I'm new here and I thought your blog is really interesting. I was wondering when should an autistic child should be on a special diet or not. Keep up the good work. I've added your link so I can follow it.

Azlina

amandaautismx2 November 11, 2008 at 9:01 AM  

Hello Azlina, I will be talking about that for you as well. Honestly, I think that they all should be. That is my opinion. However, 80% are on the diet. I will gather some information for you and post it up in the next day or so. I am currently working on getting my social spark and pay per post up and running. Have no worries I'll be in touch. They can be tested for yeast overgrowth, and gastro-intestinal problems. Rashes like psoriasis or eczema are present. Bad breath, constipation and other stool problems. There's quite a few. Talk with your child's Dr. just to be sure.

Amanda